Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] 1.8 Video
Started by [E] zαк∂αηк

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_jJJTROkJ0

Someone may have already posted but cba trawling through the forums
Given that the video suggests the update may occur next week. I think this thread should also be for discussing minetowns plan.

1.8 will likely shut down bukkit/other plugins, probably longer than usual since this is a large update and many plugins may even be changing to work with the built in mod feature.

I've heard a couple rumors including starting from scratch or transplanting parts of MT into a new world... Obviously rumors because I havent heard this from anyone official, but I recall with the lapis update we rerolled and expanded the far out areas with no ability to go and collect chests/save properties if they were out in the frontier. Which was a minor problem to some.

New update probably means new natural block(s). Along with the dungeons and towns, this means our world is old... and only new chunks can have these updates along with the new biomes. Although there are many generated chunks.

So, what is the official report and plan for "what if" possibilities.

What we should do to prepare for it?

Also, why not members go ahead and suggest possibilities?
we, mietown will probably be moved aside as a 'secondary map' while the main map will be newly gened and will have a height limit of 512 blocks <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f632.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":o">:o</object>
Well, if that is the plan, one of two things will happen.

A. Players will abandon the pre 1.8 map for the new features and fun of the new update. The old map being inhabited by a few people, but mostly being a drain of resources until it's removed for lack of use.

B. People will not want to leave their old buildings, making the new map filled with only a sparse number of new players who criticize the old map players for not wanting to get with the new program. Eventually, features will be added post-1.8 that will draw people in from the pre-1.8 until option (b) becomes option (a).

No idea what others would do (I'd move over) but it'd be sad to have to leave my old things, all my old work.

It'd be nice if maybe, we were told to start breaking down everything, make a "vault" in an assigned chunk, and anything in that vault can be moved over to the new map.

How I'd do it, step by step...

1: Go to middle of nowhere and flatten a large area

2: Use world edit to /replace single chunks to alternating dirt/cobble in a checkerboard pattern

-This make a clearly visible way of identifying chunk areas.

3:Allow players to claim a chunk, give it protection, and label vaults with sign.

4:Players build vaults UNDER ground level

-This makes the area still be walkable

5: Once protection/lwc is updated for 1.8, copy/paste the area into the new map

-or whatever process would be needed to make this possible. Not 100% sure how copy/pasting chunks works

6: Re assign protections in the 1.8 map vault chunks

7: Party, because now everyone has their stuff back.

I feel this should appease most players, while no, their buildings cant be saved, their hard mining for rare resources is saved. While still being able to get the new features, clear junk clutter/abandoned buildings, and get a clean world to build our new creations in.

If enough people want to stay on the old map and you want to leave it up, make this option voluntary rather than dismissing the option entirely.
there gonna probably multi-world it, and i believe the map height thing is optional, also there are still quite a few chunks we have unexplored on the reg map right now so they can be generated using the 1.8 code if need be (THAT MEANS STOP EXPLORING NAOW) lol but this is just what i think will happen glad to see your taking alot of thought inot this though <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
Oh... that works too. I was operating on the assumption that the old map would stay 1.7. But yeah, that makes things more convenient