Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Preffered battle system in 2D RPG
Started by [E] Remove Kebab

Fellow Minetowners,

I am curious as to what battle system you guys prefer in RPG games. If you all could give me your opinions that would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

-OkiFool66

-IonCannonKarthus
For those of you who do not know what the different kinds of battle systems are, I'll upload photos.

Final Fantasty (Old School, still same mechanics as FF13 etc.)

ff3%20desert.jpg

Zelda/Secret of Mana (Basically its Pac-man on roids with weapons and no cuts to battles)

gfs_84080_2_3.jpg

Final Fantasy Tactics (ISOmetric battleground, pretty tactical hence "tactics")

final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions-20070708081504429-000.jpg

You don't get any pictures for Pokemon, sorry
Tactics 100%

Makes it feel more fluid, having to move in range, using terrain/height to your combat advantages.
Damn, misread the title. Read my spoiler anyway

I'd like to add one I found interesting - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

It has the RPG elements of selecting your next move - BUT - it happens in real time. IE, as long as you are doing something the enemy/computer is free to do something too (though you can take all the time you want "selecting" your next action). You could also still move freely while all of this goes on. I found it to be a very nice balance of the typical RPG elements without being such a time-whore.

Really wish there were more mainstream games with SW:KOTOR battles.

@1064311 wrote:
Damn, misread the title. Read my spoiler anyway

I'd like to add one I found interesting - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

It has the RPG elements of selecting your next move - BUT - it happens in real time. IE, as long as you are doing something the enemy/computer is free to do something too (though you can take all the time you want "selecting" your next action). You could also still move freely while all of this goes on. I found it to be a very nice balance of the typical RPG elements without being such a time-whore.

Really wish there were more mainstream games with SW:KOTOR battles.

I too enjoyed this, it was essentially ff system on the fly.