Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Internet problem?
Started by [E] Minecr_ft

I recently had to go with a new company, DishNetwork, and I am far from happy. I had insight cable and everything was great until I got charged 1700$ for no apparent reason. I am currently paying 79.99$/mo for their best internet speed, and I am baffled. I'm not sure why I am paying 80$ a month for 2.3 Megabits per second, but it is disturbing. I just upgraded the internet today ( Jan. 19, 2013, 6:30 EST ) and the lady said it wouldn't even take them 4 hours. I'm not quite sure what I am asking, but is this a problem? I read on a forum that a guy was paying 35$/mo for 56Megabits and he was in the middle of nowhere. If it is a problem, what can I do to solve it? This is extremely frustrating.
i know that alot of the time it is where you live. i cannot go over 3 megabits per second because of the area i am in and where my house is located. If you live in apartments or condo's than that may be why
It could be hardware you have. one of the parts of you network could be bottlenecking your speed. if you have a old router or modem this could be a problem. What is the speed you should be getting?
the speed i should be getting is 15 mbps but it is a new router and a new computer so i dont know...
Please run this test: http://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/

Then post a screenshot of the results. Are you on wifi(wireless) or ethernet(wired)?
He knows his speed already, and is unpleased... Since you're using DishNetwork, is your home (or location of the dish) surrounded by trees? Also, if you don't have a combination router and modem, directly bypass the router with an ethernet cable and see if your speed/quality improves. Next, go to your modem settings page and check your Upstream/Downstream power and signal to noise levels then report them here. If you don't know how to do that you can search google for a tutorial with your specific modem.

*EDIT* Also, since you're using satellite for internet, you're ping/latency will probably be much higher.
Yeah Jared is correct. i did not realize you have dish for internet. your speed will very based on the trees in the surrounding area, weather, etc...
I'm on Ethernet, brand new Router and Modem, with Insight, I had their best package, I forget what it is, and it was fine, no problems.

My computer's acting up, so no screen shot. I've gotten a few different download speeds, for MegaPath it's at 4.02 with an upload speed of 0.43. I also live in a house, in Louisville, Kentucky, if that helps. And, there isn't many trees near my house.
If you can find the stream and signal stats, that would help alot... The sweet spot for stream power levels is between +7 and -7 dBmV. As for the Signal/Noise ratio, it's at it's best when it's over 30 dB.