Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] 'Locked'
Started by [E] VirulentMan

So am I the only one that noticed that we cant exactly discuss things we want to if any 1 admin doesnt want us to? Forums are generally for discussion and debate, but i guess not on here. :shut: Such as the recent thread created by wawon0 discussing "The shooting in Newtown" in the category "General Off Topic" with the description being "Discuss anything off topic and not related to Minecraft." I do believe that fell into 'anything off topic however when i went on to voice my opinion and talk with others about theirs I saw that Yield had locked the thread. And not because it had gone into banned material but because he thought it might.

I understand locking a thread once a ban appeal has been ruled upon or the original post in a thread breaks the rules but otherwise if an individual post within a thread breaks the rules then that one post should be removed and the whole thread should not be locked. Why stop a valid discussion?

That just kinda bugged me. Am I wrong?

p.s. I don't mean this as an attack on any group or individual but rather just to start a civilized discussion on the prerequisites for locking threads. All comments are welcomed, or atleast... by me <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>
We lock threads that can easily turn into flame wars to prevent it from happening as well as when we see a thread as inappropriate.. This isn't the place for heated debates.

There are no "set requirements" for locking threads, it is when a staff member deems it appropriate for the situation.
I told Yield , and thus supported him, that I felt wawon's thread should be locked. If the thread was purely talk about the human side of the event, it likely could have lasted longer, but he was being hypocritical about saying "no politics" while pushing a very political and hot topic. There are plenty of communities that do allow these sort of drama threads, though rarely is the quality of such communities very good for it.

It's also worth pointing out, since so many people seem obsessed by them, there are many Likes on Yield's closing post. If nothing else, that should be a major hint he is not alone in his view.
I locked the tread because I don't honestly believe people can be sensible on the subject. Opinions are going to be voiced, they will be different and people will get angry. And to be completely blunt on the subject, I believe the thread was created for the soul intention of creating a flame war. As you can see on his profile: http://minetown.net/profile/1086959 the thread its self was just a test.

I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss the subject, in fact I support a good healthy discussion 100%. This is how we learn, to talk to each other and to listen and to understand others view points. It's just that in this venue, I don't think that it is possible to have a healthy discussion on THIS topic, so I decided to nip it in the bud. I stand by my decision to lock that thread and I only ask that you discuss this elsewhere.