Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] New computer or processor?
Started by Unknown User

Once i finally got minecraft 1.2.5 on my computer (windows XP) I've noticed something....my fps. after pressing f3 alot on minecraft single player and multiplayer, i found out that the average fps i get is from 7 - 10, even though it doesn't SEEM laggy, it's still just 7 - 10 fps, the fastest fps i get is with EVERYTHING in video settings disabled/lowest quality and got 93 fps for 2 seconds, should i plan on getting a new computer/processor?
First things first, what are your PC specs? If you don't know, how old is it? If it's more than 2 years old, most likely you won't have the right socket (1155 or AM3+) to fit the latest range of processors.

1155 is the socket for intel's latest range of high-end processors. They have built-in graphics that are ok, but not for gaming really. Same for AMD integrated grahics, which are even worse.

Having said that, you need a GRAPHICS CARD to get good FPS in games. That should always come before processor.

I would recommend a 6850 if you're on a budget. or a 570, if you want to spend a little more. You will get great FPS with either of these.
i dont know my computer's specs, i never got the chance to look THAT deep into it, but i do know my computer is 10 years old and my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (just in case you needed to know)
Oh my... that's an AGP graphics card I think.

That means that if you were to upgrade your graphics, you would have to buy a card with an older AGP interface, I would recommend one of these:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=43&p=52,53&v=2,7
ok, thanks for the help!