Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Dev Diary #3: Where no proxy has gone before!

Pretend for a moment that you're reading a dev diary. There are spreadsheets and numbers and all kinds of growth curves to show how businessey we all are here at Minetown.

*ahem*

SCREW THAT NOISE, WHO WANTS TO SEE SOME WORLD SEEDS!?!

Yeah that's right, it's my week and I feel like goin' on an adventure!

First up: Antillia!

Ant1_1638220508.png

Named after a phantom refuge island, this world's top layer is pretty run-of-the-mill. It's about what you'd expect, trees and forests and hills and whatnot, but don't fall for it. The real magic is underground. Within half a kilometer of spawn you can find massive interconnected cave systems that will be perfect for prospecting, transit tunnels, or even entire underground bases. Yes, they're that big. Antillia's careful layer of surface camouflage conceals a webwork of hidey-holes for every occasion.

Next, we have: Sengtou.

Seng1_1638220906.png

Sengtou is one of the more peaceful options on this list. An idyllic land of densely-packed resources and plenty to see. Villages populate warm coastlines and friendly terrain with a few quirky formations that make for perfect build backdrops. Landing Lotus here will be easy, for sure, but Sengtou leaves little in the line of defense or natural borders. Like any other paradise, life here will be easy, but protecting yourself will be hard.

Our third seed is: Malkava.

Malk1_1638221264.png

Oh boy, what a contrast! Malkava is a thousand shattered biomes clustered around small, interconnected seas. Navigation will be effortless in this world, with the ability to boat from one end to the other almost guaranteed. Warm oceans and glacial mountains sit barely more than a kilometer from one another with any kind of biome imaginable in between. Though not quite as concealed as Antillia's caves, it's halfway to Sengtou's easy meadows and sunny coast without losing that edge of strength. Make no mistake, Malkava is a fortress world.

And then there's: Idarun.

Idar1_1638221630.png

I'm not really sure Idarun's name comes from anything or means anything. I fell asleep on my keyboard and when I woke up, that's what autocorrect made from the letters my nose had mashed. Lotus's landing zone is the harshest yet, flooded almost entirely in open water and likely requiring significant work to make habitable. Though still fairly rough and rugged, Idarun's biomes are massive and sprawling affairs, lending themselves more towards city construction and large clusters of civilization. Idarun itself has potential, but it will take far more work to unlock, and its value will be determined by what we make of it, not what it began as.

Finally, we have: Tharsis.

Thar1_1638221975.png

Now I know I'm not supposed to play favorites, but oh man, Tharsis... This place was a happy accident, and it shows. Home to what I can only describe as 'the neighborhood', this map has a stunningly large mushroom island chain in the middle of a gigantic sea that I can't wait to see settled. Ravines cut through mountainous jungles, with lush caves continuing downwards from the surface entrances. Tharsis isn't the richest, or the most defensible, or the most idyllic, but it's quirky as hell and packed with odd little grottos that are guaranteed to catch you by surprise. Oh and Lotus's landing zone has a natural moat. I really like that part.

So there you have it: Our top picks for a new world. Honestly I don't know which one I like second-best after Tharsis, so I figured I'd open the floor. We'll be placing a set of letters on the announcement in discord, where you can react for which new worlds you'd like to see us go to. Once we're ready to start the trip, we'll tally the votes and pick a destination. If you'd like to get a closer look before you choose, the screenshots in this post will be pinned in #legends-and-lore for you to see in full 4K resolution.

Choose wisely, we only get to do this trip once.