Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Resets/Imports
Started by [E] Nabakaron

Hello, Nabakaron speaking. Long time player but I hardly have been on the forums or consistently on Minetown.

I was talking with Doc today and I was telling him I wanted to set up something in The End but I wasn't sure when a reset was planned for The End or if there was any notifications about it. Now, I understand that some people set up bases in different areas (like The End or Nether) because of the properties of those locations, but I also understand that people like to explore new areas. I was interested in finding a happy medium to both of those. If we had a set schedule for when areas like The End are reset then it allows people to look forward to doing something like a slay the dragon event (which we could even give out prizes from mods/helpers) and allows builders to know when their work will vanish without it being a surprise. Some people don't like resets because the work will vanish.... and those people can always invest that work into main world, but others are satisfied with creating amazing works like sand art that will vanish... some even prefer this because they work with a fresh start every time. However, I don't think that anyone enjoys losing items so having a set schedule ensures that people won't lose important things to resets.

This line of thought does open up many chances to do other things as well... I noticed it is hard to really adventure in main and find new temples (with 1.1x mansions). What could happen is do resets/imports at the start of every month with new items, layouts, etc. I believe there are some mods out there that can make this very easy with commands, some that will generate on the spot, some that will import pre-made files into the world (like when you edit out the old area and replace it all with stone and then import the new dungeon/temple/etc). If we did this on a schedule it would drive up interest to play the game on specific parts of the month which would also increase the community involvement during those times (like trade or just chat in general). It could be a case of a specific area(s) set aside for resets or that staff get involved with finding places they like and players have to search for these new resources.

Doc said this was worth a forum post so... lets talk about it.
The managers are currently discussing this, if we do decide to reset, players will be given a heads up well in advance of resetting.
I don't really understand why a reset is needed... all comes to mind is for the dragon heads and elytras but thats not exactly "fair" just getting worlds like that reset just cause trying to get some of those rare items, there rare for a reason and if resets just continuously happen making more and more of those rare items then they don't become as rare.

Also say if someone was working on a big build like idk a big space station and wanna continuously expand on it but don't wanna build it in the overworld due to the environment why working on something like that, that will just keep getting reset and have to start over and over and over... but then again the end is "lawless" so can't really build much there...

I don't quiet understand why one would look forward to a dragon event considering you can spawn one in yourself... just gotta get some end crystals which are now craftable and not very hard to do.

In the regards of the import structures at set times that doesn't seem like such a good idea cause like I was saying with the dragon heads and stuff there rare things so they should stay that way, and with it being a specific world size there aren't infinite of them so I could kinda see why u could want them and considering the 1.11 mansions the mobs only spawn there but having them keep appearing and appearing makes them no longer special and they would just take up valuable space for players to express there own creativity.

P.s just a side note but when I typed in 'elytras' google chrome wants to correct it to 'flytraps' lol XD
@14591852 wrote:
I don't really understand why a reset is needed... all comes to mind is for the dragon heads and elytras but thats not exactly "fair" just getting worlds like that reset just cause trying to get some of those rare items, there rare for a reason and if resets just continuously happen making more and more of those rare items then they don't become as rare.

Please explain how a new member to the server can have the enjoyment of exploring a sea monument for the first time as the server is currently set up. I believe there is not a way and because of that it limits that players experience of the server that people before them got to have.
thats why theirs this amazing thing called a market so players can buy those kinda things <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object> also having them spawn in makes them less valuable like I was saying with the dragon heads and stuff that there not as important and it just clutters up the world... and if I remember right if staff were to use say World Edit and import a schematic of a temple one they would look the same and 2 it was cause lag in that area cause they World Edited it.
I think that this highlights the two conflicting problems that plague this topic. If we were to have a limitless map then it quickly becomes very hard to find new additions (structures, biomes, etc.) that come from the progressive updates as the map will become much larger than necessary, in order to allow every player an opportunity for every structure. On the other side of things; if we continually add these structures to the existing, limited map then the map will soon become full of structures with no opportunity for people to create their own builds. Both paths have their pros and their cons. At its very core, Minetown is a survival server, and like all survival servers some people manage to find structures before others. As of now Minetown has opted to maintain the purity of Minecraft (by not forcing additional structures onto the map) and allow a slow, progressive expansion of the map as the updates slowly and progressively roll out.

I personally missed the opportunity to find an igloo so I am anxiously awaiting the next expansion, so I may be able to find one. I also opted for the option of creating my own village next to my house. The Minecraft wiki provides ground-up blueprints of every structure, so if you are interested in the structure alone, you can always make your own (especially since all items used in structures can be crafted). However if you are interested in the loot, then you will unfortunately have to join us in the waiting game. Additionally, all loot can be obtained through other means (fishing, trading, etc.) with the lone exception of a Notch apple (enchanted golden apple).

Finally I can tell you that a regular staff meeting is occurring soon and this will be among the topics discussed. Our goal is the provide the best multiplayer survival experience possible. That being said, we try to make our decisions based off of what would be best for the community as a whole.
Joker, world edit lag is only a factor while the schematic is being placed, there is not residual lag from using it. With the changes to how the server handles world edit that Kosa put in around a year ago lag is not an issue at all with placing structures using world edit, the only time players would notice world edit lag would be from massive renovations (like millions of blocks at one time)

As far as building in the end or the nether, this is always a risk as they are lawless and grief rules do Not apply.

That's all I have, no real input on resets for the end <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
@14591852 wrote:

I don't quiet understand why one would look forward to a dragon event considering you can spawn one in yourself... just gotta get some end crystals which are now craft-able and not very hard to do.

Well, I guess group dragon hunting is something only for clans then . Unless you have an event, the lawless causes people to not want to help each other and even then... you get 500 exp so there is really no reward so why would you do a non-event dragon? (Also, the end should have signs explaining the different world rules)

The dragon event is something that would be really easy to set up, fairly easy to manage, offer a reason for staff to give out some rewards, increase activity in the server and make more of a reason for there to be clan team work. (You could even try other boss events as well, like wither but that guy drops something useful)
I do not know how a sign would work in the end/nether as there is no official entrance to either. And as I told you in game chat the PR team is currently working on different events.
@10066404 wrote:
if we continually add these structures to the existing, limited map then the map will soon become full of structures with no opportunity for people to create their own builds.

I believe this viewpoint to be flawed as the replacement of dungeons would be a 1 for 1, not just adding them all over the map. This does bring into an issue with some people using the knowledge of all the good locations they want resources from (like sea monuments) and setting up a system where they /warp or /home all around the map after the reset and try to get ALL of the reset stuff for themselves. This is the same issue as when the map was first released, where people could just go out trying to get all the adventure areas completed and take the resources before anyone got to those areas but then compounded with the knowledge of where the locations are. A solution to that would be to have a master map of where you put the dungeons each month so you can remove them and place new ones at new locations and that would a good deal of work... but it would really make the map feel like it always had something new to offer.

The other way would be to make a map of the dungeons and reset them at those locations while providing those locations on Minetown.net and make it into an event. Everyone then gets to run around to these publicly known locations and explore the new dungeon for that month.