Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Lag - Is it just me
Started by [E] Ragnalypse

The game has been pretty laggy for me lately; the past couple weeks. The last couple days have been really bad.

I am just wondering if this is a server issue or if something (or someone) is sucking my bandwidth without my knowledge.

Anyone else having issues?
When there's 100+ people on and someone is worldeditting, $#!% gets lagtastic for everyone.
*Mittens
In my experience, lag is loosely correlated with the number of players online. On weekdays when I wake up and get online at 5:30am eastern time there are very few people on (usually around 20 to 25 users) and there is hardly any lag at all. Weekend nights (eastern time) when there are 120+ people online, it can get very laggy. Try getting on at different times of day to see if it is your connection or not.

My suggestion is to use the lag swings to your advantage. When there is little lag, make use of spawners / mob grinders or go mining with a high efficiency pick since there is little to no block lag. When there is a lot of lag, go exploring -- less mobs spawn and they are easier to kill/avoid when there is heavy lag. I've been able to mine several blaze spawners during periods of heavy lag before they could spawn a single blaze.
Thx for the tips tom. Unfortunately I can only be on during evenings after work. Although when I am on with smaller crowds, there seems to be just as much lag.

Just gets annoying when ur trying to mine a lot and you gotta break every block 3-4 times.
Ragnalypse, when people are all sleeping, staff (that are on) usually tweak plugins and fix issues, which when doing so make the server lag. They're doing it to better the server. The problem is the constant updates that mojang is releasing for minecraft, so we have to go update the plugins and everything. We're still fixing issues from the last update, I believe, too.
Ya, I understand what causes lag and stuff. I was just making sure I didn't have any issues on my end.

It has been pretty bad last couple days and I haven't really heard anyone else having issues.

Although there has been quite a bit of (for lack of better word) complaining about lag tonight, so I am feeling better about my end. I have been getting paranoid something was eating my bandwidth.
For people who play at night, we don't complain about the lag. We're used to it. Sometimes we can't get work done, so we just chat all night. MCMMO is down and they are working on it. I assume working on it causes some lag (everyone wants mcmmo back so I'm guessing it's one of the higher priority items, not sure). I'm guessing you're fairly new to Minetown? Eventually, after about a month time, you'll get used to it all. Once everything is up to date, we'll have little to no lag.
tomcort wrote:
In my experience, lag is loosely correlated with the number of players online. On weekdays when I wake up and get online at 5:30am eastern time there are very few people on (usually around 20 to 25 users) and there is hardly any lag at all. Weekend nights (eastern time) when there are 120+ people online, it can get very laggy. Try getting on at different times of day to see if it is your connection or not.

My suggestion is to use the lag swings to your advantage. When there is little lag, make use of spawners / mob grinders or go mining with a high efficiency pick since there is little to no block lag. When there is a lot of lag, go exploring -- less mobs spawn and they are easier to kill/avoid when there is heavy lag. I've been able to mine several blaze spawners during periods of heavy lag before they could spawn a single blaze.

See, this man has the ingenuity to recognize lag as a tool instead of a hindrance.

*Budweiser Real Men of Genius commercial*
dunsjohn wrote:
I'm guessing you're fairly new to Minetown?

Not quite. I have been in Minetown since just months after it was created.

Even on the old server the lag was no where near what it has been. Of course there are more people now, but the server is a beast now.

And I didn't mean anyone was complaining, just a lot of talk about lag, which assured me it wasn't me.