Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Confessions from the underworld + farewell Minetown.
Started by [E] zαк∂αηк

I know I was banned for a considerable amount of time but I have played here since feb 2011, a whole 5 years back. It was the first multiplayer server I settled on and I can happily say I enjoyed it back then and for a while after. Obviously the community started going down the hill after a few certain events (some people will know what parts I am referring to) and then the whole professionalization of the community just ruined it for me and others. I tried to play again recently despite not playing minecraft much anymore but it just feels so baron and cookie-cut which is a real shame. Because of this I think I won't be on the server again so as part of my departure I guess I should admit to a few things as well as share some memories.

Minetown used to be rather ruthless for guests. They were thrown into a separate full-pvp world where they could not claim or protect their homes. When I joined, I was happy to play as a guest as we took pleasure in killing other players or raiding bases and then stashing it with normal members before the guest world reset.

After membership, which I got for simply asking an admin, I played here pretty much non-stop with a friend. The old days of minetown were completely different. The admins messed around with people non-stop. I asked for help clearing an area and one of them just worldedited the whole thing. When I needed mass quantities of wool for a build, an admin called chester basically finished the building for me. Events consisted of everyone being teleported to Jalaf who would have made a hot dog stand and he would sit there throwing food at people. There was designated people for everything, for example Kutha was known for redstone devices and 8x8Johan was known for his building. Minetown was a lot more communal back then.

I suppose the most interesting part of this thread will be the next bit which is the confessions of our criminal underworld which has slipped staff for all these years.

When I first got membership, I built a bank in a town called federation. This was designed to look like a friendly guest storing bank, however, it was actually the start of an underground organisation very few people knew about. We called ourselves 'The Executives' and our goal was to run the 'criminal' underworld of minetown and become the richest on the server. There was a town at the time which was regarded as super premium and I was denied a house there so that's what spurred this (virtual) life of crime. If you're wondering about the name, it comes from the fact that we were the elite of the server, running it all from the background.

While we didn't quite run the markets, we had achieved some pretty admirable feats;

** I won't name people because some still play **

- The guest bank I created actually housed a hidden room beneath the vaults. This area was unlocked with secret levers and pistons and actually held different exploit contraptions that we were testing out. When pistons first came out and we updated, there was a dupe where you could use sticky pistons and normal pistons to duplicate blocks. We tested it out on the surface of the bank first where we were intercepted by an old mod called 'goldenGM'. We quickly discovered that the only way admins had to prevent this was a plugin which notified them about mining diamond blocks. The first thing we did is placed a load of diamond blocks and then mined them repeatedly. This got the attention of pretty much every staff who eventually dismissed us as trolling. Once they were off our backs, we built a machine that would duplicate diamond blocks and stack them in 12x12x12 holes. We then buried the holes in dirt and waited for staff to be offline. We made a few chests of diamond blocks this way.

- Thanks to the old way staff made vaults (i.e. huge bedrock rooms with chests and a warp only you could use), we used no clip hacks to push ourselves into adjacent vaults. I don't know if it still applies, but back then you could interact with chests that were 1-3 blocks away even if there is a block in between. We used this in each of our vaults to steal from players. The player would whine about losing items and the admins would replace. Rinse and repeat.

- Back then, players would collide with each other and move slightly. A common sight was to see sawine above spawn afk. We noticed one day however that he was stood in the center of spawn holding bedrock. We pushed him into guestworld and killed him which gave us an inventory full of bedrock blocks. I assume he was building new vaults.

- Eventually we started looking into ways of making more gold and diamonds ( that was the currency back then ) than petty theft would allow us. We played around with shop signs and with the chests inside spawn shops. While testing some ideas we accidentally found a way into an unreleased part of the market ( which I think later became the undermarket). This was nowhere near complete but it did have a couple admin signs which were setup very poorly. I can't remember the exact item but it was something like cactus for gold and I mean like a stack of gold per piece. We bought out every shop and spend hours collecting HUGE sums of gold and making them into diamond blocks. Once we had more than we thought we could ever use, we decided to tell an admin about it in exchange for a building in spawn. This was done and I was given the building which became known as the 'executive suites' and is still visible in both classic and on the website background.

#Fun fact, the top floor is my penthouse and was the tallest room in spawn town for a long amount of time <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object>.

- This building housed a lot of the blocks for a while before staff started getting in everyone's business. We moved the blocks to secure locations around the map and divided them so that they wouldn't be overly suspicious if found.

- When we heard about the server adding credits, we realized that we needed more diamonds and gold to make sure we were on top as other players had also become fairly rich. We utilized sign shops again and found a way to create a portal shop. We then bought portals and resold them for copious amounts of diamonds. This is where our wealth grew the most. Before we had to run stacks of gold to the bank to trade them for diamonds (3 gold = 1 diamond) then we had to take the diamonds to a crafting bench and make them into blocks then go into our secret areas to store them. This time we had a craft bench right next to the shop and we were already in one of our secret areas. I can't say the amount of diamonds we made but we never had to worry about them again.

Some other notable things;

- We broke through the sewer doors and found a passage leading to the old spawn which was buried below the original. It still had chests full of stuff.

- We actually killed sawine a couple times and took stuff, sorry about that..

- There was around 6 of us who were active in the organization, while we all had an equal say, I took the leadership. There were some exploits that the others found which were fixed before we could all share them so there are more stories out there.

- We used alt accounts and guests to steal from the theif traps in spawn ( these had blocks like diamonds and gold in them ). They got banned and we got the items.

- Chrisseb who owned federation actually got his whole city duplicated including my bank. This also took a cube of diamonds with it.

- There used to be a world underspawn in the church. An admin must have left their items in a chest and forgot as we found a chest with sponges and nether portals ( back when you couldn't get them ).

So there you have it. Most people won't believe me but as I showed a few admins, the stuff is all still there, feel free to have a look. I didn't want to depart without sharing this info as I know some will find this really interesting. Maybe it will be noted somewhere in the history of minetown, who knows, but at least it is out there.

As a final note, I guess its fair to say I have a place for minetown in my memories but unfortunately that is where it will forever stay as it is nothing like it used to be and it never will be; Such is life. Also to all the staff and players I annoyed over the years, Sorry.... But you probably deserved it in one way or another. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object>

I'll check back on this thread now and again if anyone has any comments or questions.
@546883 wrote:
- We actually killed sawine a couple times and took stuff, sorry about that..

Nobody is really sorry about killing sawine. lol
This is back when he was just Canadian. People only stopped caring once they found out he was French-Canadian....
My cat Hebrew and I found this to be a very entertaining read! We would love to hear more tales of "The Executives"!
i used to steal from staff building projects using jump to and world map
omg 4-6 yrs playing minecraft you must be professionals guys. i've started a while ago and that's why i am here. been wondering if i can ask you qestions in case i have some? thanks!
Reading through this really brings back memories of what Minetown used to be like; thanks for that. I don't really go on any more for the same reason as you, it just doesn't feel as pure as it once did.
iYOXpB3.gif
And at last the mystery why I lost my diamonds that was in the vault is finally cleared up. Not that there was a high priority since I had allready stopped playing by the time the diamonds was stolen (came back a few times to play abit but never could get back the feeling of the past so didn't stay long). Alot of these tales makes alot of sence for me looking back. Hopefully I'll be back to Minetown even though I doubt it. But I wish you all the best of luck and happy hunting for diamonds!
Quite the nostalgia reading this thread and looking back at the old posts and messages. Minecraft and Minetown are special memories for me when it comes to gaming. Its unfortunate that we'll probably never experience something quite like it again.