Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] How to Download Minetown Classic
Started by [E] Jared

Installing and Running Minetown's Classic Server Map

Hey everyone! As most all of you are already aware, due the inactivity of the Classic server, we could no longer justify the devoting space, time, bandwidth, and processing power to sustain the Classic Server. All things, even good things, come to an end, and sadly, "Main" was no exception.

As promised, we've put together the Classic Map and are presenting it as a download to you, so that you can still relive the memories and hit the nostalgia hard whenever you like. You'll find below a link to download the map. We've included all of your homes and warps, as well as some other things required to make sure that creepers don't do block damage, ice won't melt and your leaves won't decay.

Unfortunately, due to legal constraints, we're not able to distribute everything needed to run the server out of the box, but don't worry, I'll guide you through how to build the stuff we can't give you and get it all setup.

Setup

Downloading The Map

By Downloading, you agree to NOT host this map in, on, or as a public server. This map is to be kept on a local, private, whitelist only server AT ALL TIMES.
Download
MD5: c8831d450a16c1bf6549ca61e585d270
The Map is in a 7Z archive, so you'll need to open it with 7Zip or WinRar
The map file is around 8G, so you can let it download while we continue to prepare for it.
Downloading the Spigot .jar File

Usually, we would need to build the .jar file necessary to run the server, which would be a labor intensive task for the every-day user, involving downloading the JDK, Git, and requiring alot of hands-on knowledge. Fortunately, it's now available as a download. The packaged version of the classic map uses 1.8.8:
Download Spigot 1.8.8
Setting Up The Server Instance

Now that we have the .jar file, we want to start extracting the server.

If you're using 7Zip, right click on the MTClassic.7z archive, go to 7z and click "Extract to MTClassic/"

If you're using WinRar, just double click on it, click the "Extract To" button, and click "Ok".

Extracting will take quite a bit of time, depending on your computer's specs. You may get some overwrite warnings and a few other issues, just okay through them. When it's finished, you should have an MTClassic folder with a ClassicFinal folder inside, that houses the server. You'll want to move the "spigot-1.8.8-R0.1-SNAPSHOT-latest.jar" and rename it to spigot.jar - after that you should be set! All that's left is to start it up!
Startup Time!

To startup the server, you need to open the EULA agreement, set it to true, then run Start.bat! (Note: You must keep this window open when running the server. If you close it while you're running the server, it will close it.) You should see a command window stir to life and start spitting out some console information. You may see some errors, but don't fret, it's normal. When it stops scrolling and you see "Done (x.xxxs)!" in one of the last few lines, you're set. Open up Minecraft, navigate to Multiplayer and add a server like normal, but in the address box, use
Code:

Then connect.

That's it, you're set and ready to die of nostalgia!
qWLXEws.gif
Troubleshooting

Q: I get this error when I launch Start.bat:
Code:
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable progrm or batch file.

A: You need to set your Java Path variable. You can find more on this issue here.

As of December 18, 2015, the Classic Server is now considered a legacy project, and is no longer supported. Minetown will not provide any further "Official" support for this project. MINETOWN STAFF ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE ANY FURTHER SUPPORT IN THIS THREAD AND/OR SUBSEQUENT THREADS.

Any subsequent support provided by Minetown Staff Members is provided on a personal basis.

As the warning above states, as staff we won't provide any more "official" support past this post, but if you have any issues, questions, or just need help in general, leave your remarks below and I'll be glad to help you.
Love the domain name for the server download.

excellent job.
Hey, so I started the download, but then it got cancelled, overnight, and now I can't download it since my 6 hours is up, is there anything I can do?
@1787762 wrote:
Hey, so I started the download, but then it got cancelled, overnight, and now I can't download it since my 6 hours is up, is there anything I can do?

Download reset
Says im not eligible now.

MOD EDIT: Contacted user about issue
If you use just the world file, Ice will melt, fire will spread, etc.

You also won't be able to use homes or warps, but it's your choice as to how you run it.
It feels so awesome to be OP classic...finally got it all to work!

It took me a while, but it doesn't help that all I have is macs. :/
Damn, wish I could have it <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/2639.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":(">:(</object>
Wait, what the fuck? I'm a 3 year veteran? YES! I KNEW I JOINED ALL THOSE YEARS AGO!
Wait,I enjoy expressing myself with extravagant vocabulary , My download failed over night. I enjoy expressing myself with extravagant vocabulary.