Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Car trouble :( any mechanics in our midst?
Started by [E] MoarXx

hi folks!

Well im no mechanic but i can do a few things, like change oil, alternator, light bulbs , belts , sound systems, radiator.. the average stuff (plugs and wires too!)

But im having a big problem with my 2001 Mazda protege

:::::: Symptoms ::::

car died in the middle of the road

lights work

dash comes on

fuel pump comes on ( yes the car has gas)

engine turns over

car cannot be jump started ><

:::::what i have done::::::

replaced the alternator (was still under warranty)

new battery

new plugs/wires

replaced battery connections

:::::my thoughts::::::

coil packs perhaps?

............i have no idea what is going on with this car i cannot afford to take it in, or have it towed (car is currently sitting in a very nice strangers drive-way )

so if anyone can please give me some advice on what i should try next , i would be forever grateful (no you may not have my first born)

thanks in advance for the help

---MoarXx---

Did you turn the key? JK!!!!! solenoid perhaps? spark plugs? fuel pump may come on but may not aspirate fuel. Have you watched it inject? Also have you flashed the cars computer?
Check your fuel filter <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f620.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":x">:x</object>

Buddy of mine had similar problems and they were fixed after he replaced his~
yeah danni has a good idea. engine may be starved of fuel with a clogged filter.
well as of now i cannot check the car, its 2 miles away and i cannot get to it until morning but that will be the first thing i do after i vote lol, thanks for the tips guys!
Could be the fuel injector system. Might want to check that out. I know my friend had something very similar happen, and he wanted to replace everything and I said "Dude, let me just buy a fuel injector and it'll work." It worked. /<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object> However, it may or may not be your problem. I don't have access to your hood.
also pull off your distributor and make sure all the connectors and contacts and clean and not broken. had the same problems with my 91 civic and went through all the above mentioned diagnosis, to no avial, until i yanked the distributor off and found a contact had broke off.
Have you checked the crank position sensor? I had this go bad on my Jeep.On the Jeep it was located on the bottom of the trans, next to the flywheel. It actually takes a reading from the flywheel ever revolution. Should be pretty easy to replace if that is the problem.

Hope you have a Hanes or Chilton manual. The manual should tell you the location and maybe a way to troubleshoot it.

Basically you need to determine:

Are you getting fuel in the engine? (and air)

Are you getting spark? (fire/boom)
All the other stuff is possible and I'm not trying to discount it. HOWEVER... My 2001 Nissan Sentra recently had issues when it came to the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

When the car died were you idling or driving along.

Also manual or automatic?

Engine light on? You can often go to autozone to have the codes read on your engine for free.
automatic trans <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/2639.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":(">:(</object>

car died as i pulled up to a stop sign

engine light is on but i cant get the car anywhere to get a reading, a tow around here is 200$+ and that's just to hook it up and pull it a mile

i have a 2 hour window where i can borrow my brothers car to get out to it and see what i can determine with some of the above tips, im gonna try all i can.

this just really put a damper on my valentines weekend basically had to blow off my woman to mess with a car and my only chance to make things better is this coming weekend...but with no care im screwed

thanks for a all the help guys,

---MoarXx