Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Guest Server
Started by [E] яєvєℓѕ21

Whilst writing this I am playing on the minetown server and I, aswell as most others, am getting annoyed with the amount of lag due to the amount of people (mainly guests) on the server. So I thought that if there were no guests on the server it would, almost, half the number of people online at one time. One way I thought this could be resolved was by using the creative server as a guest server instead of just having a seperate world for the guests. This may ease the lag a little, however if both servers are being run off the same computer/internet connection then it probably won't make a difference. Just a suggestion anyway.
The lag is only partly caused by the amount of people, it is mostly the Pluggins on the server. It is not the guests fault that the server lags.
Ye, I do realise that it is only partly the guests fault, but this is one way to try and slightly reduce the lag, and it is because the server is currently running the Developer Build of bukkit.
The server doesn't even lag that much. The highest latency I have ever seen on it is 200ms. 200ms is hardly a problem unless you are playing competitive games. 200ms can mean the difference in getting that last kill, headshot. It is hardly a problem in Minecraft unless you are PvPing with a person who has a lower latency. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
Needalight wrote:
The server doesn't even lag that much. The highest latency I have ever seen on it is 200ms. 200ms is hardly a problem unless you are playing competitive games. 200ms can mean the difference in getting that last kill, headshot. It is hardly a problem in Minecraft unless you are PvPing with a person who has a lower latency. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

I disagree with regards to lag isuues - during peak times, approx 4pm EST at the weekends, server lag can get to the point where you are physically unable to mine blocks whatsoever due to block lag, as well as chat having a serious delay issue. This inhibits building/mining/talking and thus makes MineTown a temporary hassle to play.

And ya sloop's right, guests don't affect lag. Much.
90% of lag is not caused by people trafficing. It is caused by Bukkit being full of holes because they are not stable as of yet...several of the plugins we use to keep lag down are what caused many of the rescent rollbacks and we had to remove them as the rollbacks were not worth the reduced lag. Running a separate server for guests is a bad idea as it would mean no one would be there to assist the guests who need some help getting started without making a dozen more mods that are solely responsible for guest server (and who would volunteer to exclusively play on guest-server where there would be limited interaction with the main world?)...or splitting us up so that your petitions take twice as long to get done. We have already given the option to keep their main chat out for you, and those who abuse trade chat are kicked...the issue with lag does not have a huge affect related solely to guests...
As I said before, I do realise that a lot of the lag is down to the server being run of the dev version of bukkit, this was just one idea, which would also help reduce the lag when the server is not running the dev version of bukkit, so it is also a long term lag reducer.