Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Amaryxi's Life
Started by [E] Corps Gaming

Hey guys, I have a very important decision to make in my life right now. My Dad has offered to pay me through college as an Engineer so I can go work for a company and make about $40,000 a year starting. The unemployment rate for an Engineer is 2% (Very low). Unfortunately, I think I want to be a video editor. They make good money, $52,000 a year starting. The problem is, my Dad wont be paying for my college, and the unemployment rate is 6% (A little bit over average). So if I were to take up video editing, I would have to enroll in the air force in order to pay for college, but with Engineering, I'm practically guaranteed a job. SUGGESTIONS?!?!
You're 15, give it three years and then decide...

As a person using the GI bill to pay for college though I can say it is an awesome benefit to serving in the military.

I've never had to deal with all the issues my fellow classmates have as far as making payments or student loans.

The reason I say give it a couple years is because you're still young, your interests may(likely will) change in the following three years.
I agree with Slurth, at 15 you still have plenty of time to make decisions about college. But anyway, dont be pressured into doing something you dont want to do. If you would have to join the military to get the degree you want, its a good way to go. I have been in the Air Fore for going on 6 years and the tuition assistance program and GI Bill are great. But even with the all benefits the military isnt for everyone, so do your research for both sides and dont rush into any major decisions either way.
Amaryxi: I'm 20 and a third year in uni. I started with the dream of becoming a teacher in a secondary school (while I was in high school I dreamed that). Then I enrolled in Aerospace Engineering, which was my current interest. Then I went to Plant Science, and now I'm in Agricultural Science. Still, this isn't exactly what I want to do with my life. I still kind of want to teach, but also be involved in agriculture.

My professor in high school physics told me this: "John, you shouldn't go to college for a career. You should go to college because something simply interests you, and you want to learn more about that subject." Because such, my current status is this: Major(s): Agricultural Science and Education. Minor(s): Teaching English as a Second Language, Regenerative Studies, Chinese Mastery Certificate (technically not a minor, but is declared as such on my degree progress report).

While in uni/college you have until the end of your sophomore year to make a 100% final decision about what degree you'll pursue. After the 2 years, there is no way you can graduate within the (now 5 years) average amount of years to graduate college/uni.

I wish you the best of luck, my friend. If you ever need advice, do not be afraid to come to me. I've gone through a lot. I was disowned by my family. I live on my own, I pay for college on my own. I struggle. It is life, to do so. I can offer you whatever advice you seek that I am able to offer, and I'll be glad to do so. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
The one thing that matters the most:

Do what you LIKE.

You can have an amazing pay grade, without having to work very hard/long and still be unhappy, since you don't really like your job.

Every job can achieve the same success, as long as you have ambition.
I got the same choice given to me. I really wanted to do a National Diploma in Forensic Science but my mother didnt agree and refused to help me with finances. I went ahead and did it anyway as I know if I tried any other course I would not have been interested and I would not have wanted to learn. Sadly my part time bar job did not pay enough to cover my travel to get to my course so I had to quit it. Ive done a couple of other courses since then that were interesting, it wasnt until I came across bookkeeping I realised how much I really enjoyed working in accounts so I got a job in it and I think this will be my career <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

At 15 I wasnt really interested in deciding fully on a career, I wanted to try all sorts of things to see what I did and didn't like. You'd be surprised what sort of careers you would enjoy, you wouldnt know until your doing them.
As many have already said, do what you like to do, which is video editing.

Currently going to go to college for a degree in computer science then get commissioned in the air force. Get a degree in astrophysics/astronautical engineering while in the air force, get out and starting working on space travel. That's the plan man.
I've been having the same issues as you, amaryxi.

Since about 13 i've wanted to be an architect, and have devoted the last 3 years of my life to choosing subjects that will put me ahead of competition.

I've got just 2 years before I apply for the Uni's I'd like to attend, however - here is the fundamental difference in our predicaments.

In the U.K., you'll get a loan form the government that will cover all your costs (wait)

You may be thinking, I'm too young to get into debt, etc etc

And this is the reason that I will be heading to Uni without parental funding - unless you earn £23,000 a year (approx $32,000), you don't have to pay any of the debt off. Nor does this debt collect interest.

And if you're worried about being stuck throught life with only a moderate paygrade?

By the age of 30 ALL DEBTS will be wiped and forgotten about.

This time between graduating and the age of 30 would give you plenty of time to get work experience while still earning a halfdecent amount. By the time you actually reach 30, you'll have no outstanding debts, a glowing CV, and an experienced outlook on life.

I've done the research into this to make sure, time and time again, that there's no catch, as this will heavily affect my life.

So may i suggest, like the others, that you follow your dream and do what you want to, employment-wise, but, adding you may want to by a plane ticket over to the U.K.?
Like what everyone said you got awhile. Me Im 17 and half way done with my Junior Year Highschool. and i couldn't make a decison between a Emergency Medical Technician or a Lawyer (i picked lawyer). Since then i have decided im going to take classes that are on the lines of what job i would choose im great in science and health and im amazing at Law and Juvenile Justice.

How are you in Mathimatics and Science Courses? Engineers do take alot of Math my friend (we both are going to same college) Is 16 and hes in i think Calculus or something higher all i know is its above Pre Calc. But back to the main point take a few classes that are close needed requirements to become a Video Editor. Take C++ see if you like it.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'd love to be able to plan ahead for one or the other though. I was interested in going to an English University (Lincoln) as a college because of the classes they offer and such. Plus it would be awesome to go to England <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object> Dunsjohn, my Dad wanted me to become an aerospace engineer because he currently owns his own business which he makes $500,000 a year in. I think however, that video programming will be the main thing for me at the moment because I don't need a degree to run my Dad's business if my career in video editing doesn't do the greatest. Once again, thank you to everyone!

Sincerely,

- Amaryxi/Anonymous