Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] A new Ban / Punishment System?
Started by [E] Wrong Account

General consensus - big crime, instaban. light crime, a chance or two.

I generally agree, although i have some suggestions.

Indeed, if a player has worked hard on a project only to see the entire thing crumble, then the griefer deserves no less than a ban, effective immediately.

Likewise, a new player who sees an unlocked chest with diamonds in it will be unaware of the reprecussions, perhaps even thinking they're there to help players start out. Certainly, when i was approved i found such a chest but checked beforehand if it was ok. Naturally, turned out it wasn't. Point was, some people may not check, resulting in a ban.

What about applying a "black mark" system to MineTown? A database storing playernames followed by "ban points out of 100" which would have simple textboxes for mods and above to enter the players name followed by the amount to increment their "ban points" by. Upon reaching 100, the player would be automatically banned with no chance of redemption.

The severity of the crime would denote the point increment ie

• Player1 destroys Player2's 3000block skyscraper etcetc area rollback, +100 points, instant ban.

• Player3 destroys a ladder in Player2's Skyscraper etcetc items returned, +10 points.

• Player3 then steals Player4's 6 Dragon Eggs etcetc items returned, +84 points, Player3 point total now 94.

You get the picture.

I'd also like to suggest re-guesting for certain crimes, which would mean said player would have to reapply, and would lose all former donator perks.

These are my ideas, and if you think they're good, vote up and we may get to see it being applied ^-^

-Adz
First to state that Minetown enjoys their current banning system. You do not deserve a second chance if you've already screwed up. If you're going to do something, do it fairly. No stealing, what makes you think you'll get away with it?
The current way works perfectly, no need to complicate things.

EDIT: Why the FUCK do people thumb US down, but not the moderators who are saying the same thing? I don't get it.
we are potentially looking into something similar, but not so complicated to be possibly implemented in the future.
In order for this to work, you'd have to have more than a point system. You'd also have to have a way to track reasons why a player obtained 'ban points'. You would also need some way to make sure ban points are legitimately awarded and a standardization for giving 'ban points'.
It’s a nice idea but the current system works fine, it would be too much work everyone keeping a big tally of all the bad members. If they break the rules they get punished. Its very straight forward which is what it needs to be as we have many more things that are a higher priority.

If this would be implemented we would get threads being made moaning about the lack of staff working on pe’s and doing guest apps and all the other tasks we do.

If they destroy blocks they’re banned: Serious cases its perma with no chance of an appeal, not so serious (Breaking 1 block or the victim of the theft forgives the player ect ect) will get a temp ban and possibly a jail time.

Making a spreadsheet wouldn’t be hard but maintaining it and making sure all staff members use it would not, the current system is straight forward and do not need to waffle about with a spreadsheet. It would mean going out of our way and spending 5-10 minutes working on a file. In that time I could easily have done 2-3 petitions which I would see as being more important than messing about with a file of someone that has been banned from the server and may not be coming back.

If someones banned all staff can now check ban logs and let the banned person know who had banned them, nine times out of ten the same staff member would message the person who banned the member and notify them of an outstanding appeal.

Also each ban appeal is different and the reasons are not always the same, from griefing one block to one hundred blocks, pvp killing, harrassing, stealing from traps, stealing from ‘friends’, luring, advertising, spamming, duping, being disrespectful, being racist ect etc. These are just a few of the many I can think of, no way will a staff member be able to sit there and make a ‘point’ for each problem.
Sorry but I see the idea as impossible to implement and maintain. How in the world would we keep up with points for thousands of players?

I also believe in the saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Thank You for the suggestion though, we do appreciate the thought put into this. I know at times some of the peoples ideas are implemented and do help improve the overall game play.
As this poll has been constantly tied, felt i'd address some comments.

Slighty heartened by Zionia's comment. Either Great minds think alike...or fools seldom differ.

Additionally, Nick, although i understand 'If it aint broke dont fix it', if this rule was applied to all aspects of life, would we ever advance?

Some people have said this would be too complex to add to Minetown, but for visual basic 6.0 alone i could write the code for this.

Admittedly, I doubt Minetown uses Visual basic, more likely c# or java, but surely this is just a simple array?

While i can admit that it may take a bit more time than to just ban the player with a single line, i believe this method would be more efficient than the current system, and slightly more lenient.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that people should be allowed ot get away with anything but i do believe in chances, and via this method chances/the number of chances could be measure according to severity.

I'm not here to start an argument, nor to suggest the current 'way' of things is wrong, and seeing as all that have commented have viewed this negative I'll accept defeat for now X D

-Adz
Player 4 does /set 0 +9001 points.
Curious, my vote count keeps resetting itself.

Lol, Landr0.

Mod, seeing as would appear to be defeated this time, may i suggest locking this thread to stop it going off-topic?

-Adz